He specializes in what he calls “micro leadership,” helping managers lead successfully at the “micro” level–in that vital interpersonal space between the manager and his/her individual employee. He shows managers how to generate strong results through effective conversations with staff around (1) job performance, (2) job satisfaction and motivation, and (3) ongoing development.
He began the independent consulting firm, Fulcrum Associates, Inc., back in 1988, following seventeen years of corporate experience in both the high tech manufacturing and transportation industries. His extensive client list includes some of the largest corporations in the private sector, major trade and professional associations, small business, government, and not-for-profit organizations.
Ian holds a Bachelor of Commerce from McGill University and, from Cornell, a Masters degree in Industrial & Labor Relations, majoring in Human Resources Management, and has been a lecturer in the Faculty of Business of Ryerson University. In addition, from the Gestalt Institute of Toronto he earned a (3-year) Diploma in Gestalt Theory and Methodology that significantly deepened his ability to achieve results as both a facilitator and executive coach.
To see Ian in action click here:
Ian is actively involved with the community leadership organization Leadership Fairfax Inc. A graduate of LFI’s Signature Leadership program class of ’04, he has served both on the Board and as Chair of the Program Committee, and has been a keynoter in their Speakers Series. Currently he facilitates a one-day Open Space event for the Emerging Leaders program and, for the Signature program class, facilitates individual team process debrief meetings following completion of their projects.
A dual US/Canada citizen, Ian lives in northern Virginia with his wife, Linda, who is a partner in their firm.
Education and Credentials
- Cornell University—Masters degree, Human Resources Management
- McGill University—Bachelor of Commerce degree
- University Associates—Human Resources Development Intern Program
- Ryerson University—former part-time lecturer in Faculty of Business
- Gestalt Institute of Toronto—(3 year) Diploma in Gestalt Theory and Methodology for group and individual development
- National Speakers Association & Canadian Association of Professional Speakers—Certified Speaking Professional (CSP) designation
- Ontario Municipal Management Institute—Excellence in Training Award
- Ontario Society for Training and Development—Certificate of Achievement (Advanced)
- Accredited facilitator of The Leadership Circle Profile® and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator®